Tonight I got to thinking about how much I truly enjoy getting to know people. People bring so much joy into my life.
Last year, between semesters, I really enjoyed the chance I got to spend some time with my family. I realized how much I love them all and enjoy being around them. It gave me a little glimpse of what it's like to be with our families throughout all eternity.
This year, so far, I've tried to spend more time getting to know the people around me. I feel like I've gained some very important friendships that I will enjoy for years to come.
It's easy to keep my friendships at arm's length and not get too personal or involved in their lives. However, I've learned that true joy comes as we learn to love, understand, and cherish our friends. But sometimes this takes desire, effort, and time.
We don't have to focus on our differences. I could think of dozens of reasons why I shouldn't be friends with those I spend time with. There are differences in age, life experience, likes, hobbies, interests, etc. We need to just become friends and learn to put ourselves in each others' shoes so that the friendship has room to grow into a bond that will tie us together throughout the years.
As we do so, there will be more love, more happiness, less contention, and less depression. As we do this, we are taking some important steps towards understanding charity, the pure love of Christ.
"But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him."
-Moroni 7:47
3/08/2009
Taking time for making friends
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"We know not all that lies ahead of us. We live in a world of uncertainty. For some, there will be great accomplishment. For others, disappointment. For some, much of rejoicing and gladness, good health, and gracious living. For others, perhaps sickness and a measure of sorrow. We do not know. But one thing we do know. Like the Polar Star in the heavens, regardless of what the future holds, there stands the Redeemer of the world, the Son of God, certain and sure as the anchor of our immortal lives. He is the rock of our salvation, our strength, our comfort, the very focus of our faith."
~President Gordon B. Hinckley
~President Gordon B. Hinckley
No comments:
Post a Comment