3/15/2009

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

Church starts at 8:00. My alarm sounded at 7:10 this morning, and I couldn't figure out why, so I shut it off and went back to sleep.

At 7:46, I came to a certain degree of consciousness and realized that church started in 14 minutes. At this very moment, a decision stared me in the face. I could choose the easier path and keep sleeping or I could hurry and run off to church.

I quickly made the decision to get dressed and go. As I drove to church, I pondered about the significance of that experience. I wondered what woke me up at the precise time that would allow me enough time to get to church as the meetings were beginning.

I considered that it could have been the Spirit that woke me. Why? What was the purpose of waking me up at that very minute? I decided that by waking me at that very moment, I was literally forced to decide, in an instant, which path I wanted to take. Would I choose to stand in holy places or tarry where I lay?

This experience could seem small and insignificant, but to me I felt like I, without thinking, took one step towards being more trustworthy in the eyes of the Lord. In a small way, I showed that I could be trusted to make the proper decision.

As a side note and extension to this experience, today's church meetings were filled with spiritual thoughts, testimonies, and impressions that elevated and lifted my soul. Topics that were discussed and taught had been the subjects of my ponderings throughout this past week.

Now, what if I hadn't jumped out of bed???

No comments:

"We know not all that lies ahead of us. We live in a world of uncertainty. For some, there will be great accomplishment. For others, disappointment. For some, much of rejoicing and gladness, good health, and gracious living. For others, perhaps sickness and a measure of sorrow. We do not know. But one thing we do know. Like the Polar Star in the heavens, regardless of what the future holds, there stands the Redeemer of the world, the Son of God, certain and sure as the anchor of our immortal lives. He is the rock of our salvation, our strength, our comfort, the very focus of our faith."

~President Gordon B. Hinckley